One of the museum's sites is in Dalt Vila, the walled area which encloses the part of the town with the greatest number of monuments. It comprises various buildings, the most interesting ones of which are the entrance, an old chapel built by the fishermen's guild, and one of its main rooms, the one which was the Town Hall until 1838, and prior to that, the headquarters of the Universitat.
This building has an interesting Mudejar coffered ceiling with arabesque overtones and Gothic elements which appeared during the restoration work, as well as the foundations of an old tower of the Muslim wall.
Through the exhibition of valuable objects, the different rooms present a historic sequence of the Pitiusas Islands, spanning the prehistoric period, the Phoenician colonisation, the Punic world, the Roman and Islamic periods, up to the Catalan conquest of 1235.
The other part of the museum is situated in the lower area of the town, in Vía Romana. The building is closed for alterations at present, although it is possible to visit a very well-preserved Punic necropolis which is regarded as the most important burial complex in the Western Mediterranean area.
It is advisable to start with a visit to the necropolis and then head for the museum in the Dalt Vila going through the Portal Nou, one of the main gates in the walled area. This museum building overlooks the Plaza del Mirador, the place with the greatest number of monuments on the entire island.
This square housed the first market exchange, where commercial deals were negotiated and slave auctions were held. Surrounding it are the cathedral, the Episcopal palace, the small curia, the Archaeological Museum and a splendid viewpoint from where you can look over the whole of the port area.
Closed for repairs
Plaça de la Seu, 3. Eivissa
Telephone: +(34) 971 301 231
Closed for repairs
Vía Romana, 31. Eivissa.
Telephone: +(34) 971 301 771
Fax: 971 303 263
Visiting hours: 16 may- 15 october, Tuesdays to Saturdays, from 10 am to 2 pm; Sundays from 10 am to 2 pm. 16 october-15 may Tuesdays to Saturdays 9am to 3pm; Sundays from 10 am to 2 pm.
Mondays and holidays closed.
Friends of the Museum Association(Associació d'Amics del Museu d'Eivissa i Fomentera): http://aamaef.org/